KiXforms Forum Index KiXforms
The Forum for the KiXforms Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Quick Links 
Site News
Downloads
Documentation
Donations
Script Archive
Tracking Systems

Kixforms now ships as MSI !
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
benny69
KiXforms Advocate
KiXforms Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Kixforms now ships as MSI ! Reply with quote

The New KiXforms.msi is great, Thanks Shawn.

Does this install in KHLM or HKCU?

If it does install in HKCU, is there command line switches we can use to identify the install dir and run silent for corprate installs?

Or do we still need to use RegSvrEx.exe to install KiXForms.dll in HKCU?

Shawn
KiXforms Developer
KiXforms Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its an HKLM installer. not too sure if I can make an optional HKCU version or not - will investigate ... Steve ?
Les
KiXforms Aficionado
KiXforms Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the whole point of doing an MSI was to leverage the ability to install through GPO without admin rights. AD allows MSIs to install with elevated rights through a GPO. Why then would you need a HKCU installer?
ntdoc
KiXforms Supporter
KiXforms Supporter

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Les myself. As an Admin on my own system sorry Shawn but I have no need for an MSI package since it is just a DLL I prefer to update it on my own.

However, as Les says - the beauty of it being in an MSI package is that you can now very easily and properly deploy it to all your workstations where the user has no rights. Then you can easily deploy or use KF scripts at will on desktops.

I'm sure I could have put one together myself, but I'm also aware that Steve has much more experience in the MSI area then myself.

Very nice - Thanks Shawn and Steve.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shawn
KiXforms Developer
KiXforms Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I dont see any down-side to having an msi package, tbh - I was planning on including the DLL in the zip file as well, for those that dont want to use the MSI. But actually I think the MSI is a) easier and b) quicker to install (then hand-jobbing the copy/regsvr32).
Stevie
KiXforms Supporter
KiXforms Supporter

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creating a HKCU version is doable but would either require two separate MSIs or a more complicated MSI setup.
________
Vaporizer Affiliate

Last edited by Stevie on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
benny69
KiXforms Advocate
KiXforms Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,
Thatís a good point.

Steve,
It would be nice to give the administrator the ability to choose ether HKLM or HKCU within the same .msi then we could use GPO's like Les suggested either way.

masken
KiXforms Enthusiast
KiXforms Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les wrote:
I thought the whole point of doing an MSI was to leverage the ability to install through GPO without admin rights. AD allows MSIs to install with elevated rights through a GPO. Why then would you need a HKCU installer?
YES that's absolutely right! I don't see any point for a HKCU installer either, that could potentially only lead to trouble. This package should be dedicated for client distribution and nothing else if you ask me.

GOOD WORK making the installer, can't be more excited Gonna try deploying here soon! Smile

Edit
hmm... just tried installing this via the MSI... and it didn't register correctly on my new PC. I had to manually regsvr32 it to make KiXforms work... :/

WinXP SP2, Swedish
Shawn
KiXforms Developer
KiXforms Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. Think I forgot to set something in the last MSI i published. Give me an hour or so and I will post a new version asap.

-Shawn
Shawn
KiXforms Developer
KiXforms Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, try the latest dev build [2.46.28]
Lonkero
KiXforms Devotee
KiXforms Devotee

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masken (and les too), no, this is not for client deployment only.

MSI is installer system. not a tool for lazy admins that don't want to do it the old way, correct way.

now, if we are to have a msi kixforms, it should contain the whole project, that is it should have the chm with it.
and it should be installable per user so an coder can install on his machine without others being able to "easily" use it.
and for those who want to deploy per user.

just because someone wants a narrowed msi and is too lazy to make one, we should not do it for him.

sliver
KiXforms Follower
KiXforms Follower

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Unregister Old Version of Kix .dll Reply with quote

Using the new .kix MSI....do I need to unregister the older version of the .kix .dll that is on my system or will the MSI do that automatically???
Shawn
KiXforms Developer
KiXforms Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a very good question - to be honest - I dont know. Will investigate and advise.

(Dont think it would be the end-of-the-world if it didn't unregister the old one though)

-Shawn
Jochen
KiXforms Devotee
KiXforms Devotee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as there are no changes in Namespaces in a new version, aye?

Tell me, and I will forget.
Show me, and I may remember.
Involve me, and I will understand.
masken
KiXforms Enthusiast
KiXforms Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lonkero wrote:
masken (and les too), no, this is not for client deployment only.

MSI is installer system. not a tool for lazy admins that don't want to do it the old way, correct way.

now, if we are to have a msi kixforms, it should contain the whole project, that is it should have the chm with it.
and it should be installable per user so an coder can install on his machine without others being able to "easily" use it.
and for those who want to deploy per user.

just because someone wants a narrowed msi and is too lazy to make one, we should not do it for him.
lol... well first of all you've made your point very clear lonk...

What do you mean with "correct" way? You're saying something's plain right and wrong? I think you have to broaden your views a little lonk... not all of us are interested in manually scripting and customizing applications for deployment. I even think most see that as an exception, not a standard. That's why there are pre-made systems for this. Even one's that come with the OS, that's quite easy to use and in most cases meets the requirements. Especially for small-medium sized businesses that neither have the expertize or money to customize everything they need. So why not take advantage of it?

And I most definetly didn't see an MSI-package as some "personal request", I most seriously think it's good for KiXforms, which I also think many others do! I've worked as an IT-consultant for quite some time now, and I have at least some knowledge of what the market wants, how consultants work and have to work with customers, and what customers are ready to pay for. In short; most don't give a shit about the technology behind things, or even how it works. They just want it to work, using as little time and money as possible. Application distribution through MSI is very popular. It works, it's free, it takes little time to setup, and it's MS-standard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KiXforms Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: