KiXforms Forum Index KiXforms
The Forum for the KiXforms Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Quick Links 
Site News
Downloads
Documentation
Donations
Script Archive
Tracking Systems

Is there an Inventory Script out there?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonji
KiXforms Aficionado
KiXforms Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Is there an Inventory Script out there? Reply with quote

I am having to retire an application that does a good job of obtaining inventories of hardware/software resources on our computers and providing a good interface to work with them. This means I need a new method for doing such, and KiX seems like a good place to start.

Has anyone already written something like this and is willing to share it? The only progress I've made so far on this is to download the Kixomatic 2.1.1. And before I begin cracking on such a system, I thought I would ask if anyone else has already invented this wheel.

Thanks!

Shawn
KiXforms Developer
KiXforms Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this need to be an automated inventory (ie, it scans local/remote computers) or does it need to be a system used to enter data manually ?
Bonji
KiXforms Aficionado
KiXforms Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I guess I'm open to anything that gathers the data from a PC itself since I can take a core system and tweak as needed.

Our current system works by running a process locally on the computer (via the logon script) that takes a hardware/software inventory and writes all the results to a file on the network. Then a process is initiated in the main application that imports all of these files into the database. There is a view of all workstations that have been "audited" and the resulting details are viewable by selecting a workstation.

Just in case any one is familiar with our app, it is TrackIT!. It's a nice HelpDesk package that includes the functionality to acquire and maintain all of this workstation information. We have to retire it because it has high yearly maintenance fees, and we have purchased a new HelpDesk system that is also a Change-Management system for our AS/400s.

I hope I answered your question Shawn. Smile

Shawn
KiXforms Developer
KiXforms Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you following this thread over at KoRG ?

Jose (KoRG) member wrote a more "manual" inventory system, using Kixforms and MS Access ... will see if I can get his attention into this thread.

If you want to pursue either option further, let me know - the source code for each is not publically (readily) available - I can shoot you the SIM though.
Bonji
KiXforms Aficionado
KiXforms Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked over at that site, but I didn't see anything that caught my attention.

I just now looked at the link you gave, and this looks like a promising project. Is the data collected manually? If so, maybe I could work on automating that part of it, and putting the data in a format that this interface could pull in.

The key for me is that the PC information collection needs to be automated, either via remote execution or via a logon script process.

I'll take a look at anything you have.

Thanks!

Shawn
KiXforms Developer
KiXforms Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me some time to contact the developers of this, to see if the source code can be given-out ... not sure.
Radimus
KiXforms Enthusiast
KiXforms Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOST of is is collected via WMI.. and a little (like user data) is collected via LADP

The project is less than half done at the moment, and I've got so much going on at work I haven't done much to it in the last 2 weeks and next week doesn't look much better.

I will get back to it eventually as my management likes the project, and Doc and Shawn are helping with it as well
jose3
KiXforms Regular
KiXforms Regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bonji..sup?

As Shawn said I have wrote an app with a mixed mode of manual and auto data load from the Pc´s. Here are some shots.

I do have to aware you of some things you might want to consider before you choose:

Pros:
- It works. You open it load data then reopen see the data you loaded.
- Can have both hardware and software inventory.
- Can make comments and take notes on each equipment.
- Can give you some tips in what you are looking for and take it as a sample code. Speccially the way it handles each article and stores into the database.
Cons:
- It was made for spanish user, both in app reference variables comments and database tables. As I see you might not be spanish speaker so it can be messy, first to understand then to translate.
- Inventory results might not be as fast as you wish without having to work hard on the code firts.
- There is no order in the code cause it was made by me wich I am not an ordered person.
- You need to have some experience on access databases.
- The load has to be done manually by a person.

Dependencies:
MDAC, Kixforms, WMI.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The ideal would be to have inis containing both spanish and english ways wich should need two different databases to proceed. Maybe this way it can be a serious inventory tool to spread along as Kixforms sample.

If your wish is to use this code I can send it to you and any question you have I would be pleased to answer.

This is the least thing I could do to give some feedback to Shawn´s dedication devotion and help given to all of us without anything in change.

Bonji
KiXforms Aficionado
KiXforms Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jose,

I'll take you up on your offer for the code. I'll address your Pros and Cons just so you can see where I am on it, and if you agree with my analysis...

Pros:
- It works. You open it load data then reopen see the data you loaded.
Very good feature Wink
- Can have both hardware and software inventory.
A must for me
- Can make comments and take notes on each equipment.
A nice option to have
- Can give you some tips in what you are looking for and take it as a sample code. Speccially the way it handles each article and stores into the database.
Sounds good
Cons:
- It was made for spanish user, both in app reference variables comments and database tables. As I see you might not be spanish speaker so it can be messy, first to understand then to translate.
I used to have decent familiarity w/Spanish, however I have not been able to use it much over the last 10 years so it has been dwindling. I'm willing to tackle this part of the program and maybe I can eventually provide the English translations and work in a system that allows either language. I'll run the translations by you so you can straighten them out.
- Inventory results might not be as fast as you wish without having to work hard on the code firts.
I'll see what I can do here
- There is no order in the code cause it was made by me wich I am not an ordered person.
I'll work on this if I find it troublesome for me.
- You need to have some experience on access databases.
I have an intimate familiarity w/Access. However, I would rather have the database use SQL, so if you are not using SQL statements maybe that can be added as a future enhancement.
- The load has to be done manually by a person.
This is OK as long as there is a script to gather the data from the PC that can be run via logon script, etc.

Thanks for the help!

jose3
KiXforms Regular
KiXforms Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Bonji!!
It would be nice to have a translation.
Let me fix you a little guide in order for you take less time to figurate it out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KiXforms Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: