KiXforms Forum Index KiXforms
The Forum for the KiXforms Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Quick Links 
Site News
Downloads
Documentation
Donations
Script Archive
Tracking Systems

Enable controls while building in a pause

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennus
KiXforms Novice
KiXforms Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Enable controls while building in a pause Reply with quote

Hi,

Im new to KixForms but loving it so far ... I'm rebuilding our loginscript cuz i want to get rid of that console screen Wink The script runs a few tasks (sync time, map drives, copy files etc) but i want to build some sort of pause between the tasks. I tried the sleep command but when I do my checkboxes ,which should be clicked the whole time, are not responding until sleep expires. By design i figure but this doesnt solve my problem.

I was wandering if the timer function could aid me in this. For instance is it possible to put an interval of say 10 seconds between each task?

Thx in advance ...

Dennus
Jochen
KiXforms Devotee
KiXforms Devotee

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a logon script, do not try to virtually slow down a logon script.
Your users will be thankfull if it runs fast and do its job.

Nobody cares to see some entertaining Information while login in, neither in a console or in a form: They want to be able to start winword without the procedure Login->go get a coffee->start word.

IMO a sleep 10 statement in a logon script should be punished with 5 slaps with a medium sized trout

Tell me, and I will forget.
Show me, and I may remember.
Involve me, and I will understand.
Jochen
KiXforms Devotee
KiXforms Devotee

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh btw,

welcome to the wonderful world of kixforms Very Happy

Dennus
KiXforms Novice
KiXforms Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the fact loginscripts should be fast and simple. However if you ever come to work in local government where "getting coffee" is actually like 60% of someone's daily tasks then you realize a small delay in your logon script isnt such a big deal Very Happy

Now without the kidding. Our users need to be able to read the statuscode of each task. In case of a failure this number will be used by servicedesk personel to gather information about the problem.

Back to the question: is it possible to use the timer function to built a delay?
Jochen
KiXforms Devotee
KiXforms Devotee

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, seriously.

Then I would collect all errors in an array during the logon sequence and if there are any, and only then, display the errors (or the codenumbers) after the logon script has been run.
Maybe just write them to a log file and as last line in the logon script launch Notepad with the file as parameter.

Otherwise:
Quote:
Back to the question: is it possible to use the timer function to built a delay?

Yes, it is, but would that be really reasonable? The users are convicted not only to life with a logon script that lasts nTasks * 10 secs longer but also to watch it attentively each time they logon.
With the Notepad suggestion they could do part of their 60% daily tasks (getting coffee) also during login Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KiXforms Forum Index -> Starters Code Clinic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: