KiXforms Forum Index KiXforms
The Forum for the KiXforms Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Quick Links 
Site News
Downloads
Documentation
Donations
Script Archive
Tracking Systems

How Does KiXforms Call An Event Function ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glen
KiXforms Novice
KiXforms Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: How Does KiXforms Call An Event Function ? Reply with quote

Hello,

I wonder if anyone could give me a basic programming overview of how KiXforms calls a script function on an event trigger. I am interested in learning the technique but I do not know where to start looking for information on how to achieve it.

For example, if a script contains a function called 'SomeFunction' and I set a button's OnClick event = SomeFunction, what programming mechanism enables the KiXforms.DLL to execute 'SomeFunction' ? My understanding is it is not something specific to KiXtart as I can achieve the same result using VBscript (and presumably JavaScript as well).

I am not expecting a step by step guide complete with program listings and examples (most of which would probably be over my head anyway) ... a list of terms I could google for would be more than enough to get me started.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Glen
Shawn
KiXforms Developer
KiXforms Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no magic involved really. Lets say you have a button and you setup a function like this:

$Button = $Form.Button()

Function Button_Click()

?"Hello World"

EndFunction

What connects the two together ?

1) First, we pass a string containing the function to call to the Buttons OnClick event like this:

$Button.OnClick = "Button_Click()"

Nothing fancy, all your doing at this point is simply assigning the string "Button_Click()" to the property called OnClick.

2) Run the DoEvents / Execute loop, like this:

While $Form.Visible
$= Execute($Form.DoEvents)
Loop

This is where the "how" of what happens really happens. $Form.DoEvents waits for events to happen. When you click the button, Kixforms takes the string that you supplied in OnClick, and returns this string from DoEvents - then, because you have wrapped the DoEvents in an Execute statement, the string that is returned gets "Executed" as Kixtart code (this is the real trick) - under the covers, the Execute is processing something like this:

$= Execute("Button_Click()")

This statement instructs Kixtart to call the Button_Click() function - in a very dynamic fashion - Execute parses script statements on-the-fly. When the Execute function returns, the loop is done again and again and again - executing the strings returned from DoEvents. When the forms goes not visible, the loop is terminated.

Make a little sense ?

-Shawn
Glen
KiXforms Novice
KiXforms Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes .... that makes perfect sense. KiXforms.DLL creates and displays the form, waits for events to occur (DoEvents) and then passes a string associated with the trapped event back to the calling script. The calling script, expects this string to be the name of a user defined function and calls the Execute function to run this function.

I was obviously overthinking the solution when I asked this question (I was expecting a reply involving COM objects, callback functions, IDispatch interfaces and the like).

Thank you for clearing that up for me Shawn.

Regards

Glen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KiXforms Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: