KiXforms Forum Index KiXforms
The Forum for the KiXforms Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Quick Links 
Site News
Downloads
Documentation
Donations
Script Archive
Tracking Systems

Online Technical Reference Feedback

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rod
KiXforms Webmaster
KiXforms Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Online Technical Reference Feedback Reply with quote

Hi All,

As I haven't heard from anyone regarding the recently launched Online Technical Reference, I thought I would actively solicit some feedback. So if you have any comments to make whether good, bad or indifferent, then please make them here.

Thanks,

Rod.

KiXforms Enthusiast
KiXforms Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems slick if you ask me! Smile

Nice work! Is it "just" some converter, or does it require manual hands-on etc?
Rod
KiXforms Webmaster
KiXforms Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CHM2WEB software handles approx 95% of the conversion process and then I have to tweak a few graphics and background colours here and there before uploading to the server. Going forward it should be relatively easy to keep the Online Technical Reference up to date as Shawn releases newer versions of the CHM.

The A!K Research Labs software normally costs around $80 and I was planning on purchasing a license via any donations made to the site, however to date we have received just one donation of $5 (which incidentally we are very grateful for), however at that rate it would have been a very long time indeed before we would have enough to buy a full license. So I contacted the company and asked them whether they would be prepared to give us a discount especially as we are a non-profit body and they bowled me over by sending a free activation key. The only caveat is that I keep the link at the bottom of each converted page which I am more than happy with.

TBH the lack of donations has been pretty disappointing really especially considering how many people use this site and the product, however I suppose that is human nature after all Shame

Rod.

KiXforms Enthusiast
KiXforms Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, as mention - nice work!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Make KiXforms available for the masses (read: GPO-workable MSI package, HKCU registry file with a step-by-step instruction or whatever), and the masses will come. Right now noone knows ohw to start using this unless they indulge themselves in alot of threads both here and on KORG. Remember that most of us are old in the game both here and there, and often forgets about the needs that newcomers has.
Rod
KiXforms Webmaster
KiXforms Webmaster

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... I'm not sure how this relates to the original topic, but what the hell Wink TBH I don't really see how wrapping up the KF library in an MSI package is going to dramatically transform it's utilisation, however if equipped with the necessary tools then I am more than prepared to take on the job. The key problem however is that the necessary tools don't come cheap and the free tools just aren't up to the job. Therefore, I believe we have a Catch 22 situation. If anyone has any suggestions then please feel free to voice them.

Rod.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KiXforms Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: