KiXforms Forum Index KiXforms
The Forum for the KiXforms Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Quick Links 
Site News
Downloads
Documentation
Donations
Script Archive
Tracking Systems

listview and msgsrv32 error

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgilardi
KiXforms Dabbler
KiXforms Dabbler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: listview and msgsrv32 error Reply with quote

I've a logon script with a ListView object used to display task progress (the idea was taken from pb.kix taken on a website).
When the script runs on slow w95/w98 pcs, msgsrv32 errors arise very often bringing the pc to complete lock.
i'm using kixforms 230b3 and kix 421; the script is exe-packaged with kixeditr 1.7.
The same script (exe-packaged or not) runs fine on w2k pcs and even w95/w98 when good in term of ram/cpu/general good efficiency. If finally i toggle any ListView object referrals, the script runs fine also on poor pcs.

It seems to me that listview object is the main cause of msgsrv32 errors when pc is poor on resources or logon speed is slow (very typical on w95/w98 systems).
paolo
Stevie
KiXforms Supporter
KiXforms Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you run the script normally (non-EXE) on the 9x machines?
________
BMW 114

Last edited by Stevie on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Stevie
KiXforms Supporter
KiXforms Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I'm asking is that there is a known issue with KiXscripts Editor packaged EXEs and 9x machines with slow logon times. The problem is that the shell/environment startup and logon/batch processing are running concurrently on different threads. This means that on slow processing machines, when the EXE attempts to extract the proper files to TEMP, it may not be able to do so since TEMP may not yet be defined in the user's shell.

If the script has started running when you see this error, then I would think it is not the EXE issue. If the script does not launch at all then your problem may be the one stated above. Quickest way to find out is run the script on the 9x boxes without the EXE and see if you get the same results.
________
Penny stock pick

Last edited by Stevie on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
pgilardi
KiXforms Dabbler
KiXforms Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: msgsrv32 but even winoldap... Reply with quote

thanks stevie for your post.
i'm getting the same behaviour even when running the script not 'compiled' as exe.
Here some additional infos:
- confirm no issue on w2k pcs, only on w9x
- sometimes msgsrv32 error arise, sometimes winoldap (this one more often when running the normal, not -exe, script)
- the main logon script (user.exe) is run from a batch file with 'start /w' command
- user.exe is actually calling other exe-packaged scripts with kix 'RUN' command and the scriptname put into a variable
- the same script doesn't show error even on w9x pcs if i completely remove any ListView referrals

Doubt: maybe the 'ListView' concern is misleading. Is it possible that
the problem arise just because i'm using exe-packaged scripts called by others ? What happen to the first thread of kix32.exe during the unpacking of another subsequent exe-pack. script ?
The scripts are 'compiled' without any kixtart files inside: i mean i toggle kix32,kx16,kx32,kx95... The packaged script is executed because i've all necessary kixtart files (and kixforms library) on locally (under %windir% folder that is of course in path).

next action by me: i'll try to 'compact' all scripts into one, leave the ListView object and compile it; then i'll see the result.
Any new thoughts ?
tks,
paolo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KiXforms Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: